A Buying Guide to Patio Furniture Materials, Styles and Fabric
Posted By: admin on 11 Dec, 2017
Even a basic concrete or brick outdoor area can be transformed into a comfortable, stylish, functional and welcoming space with the right patio furniture. Whether you have a large backyard or a pocket garden, you can create a relaxing private place to entertain your friends, dine together, or bask in the sun.
However, there are several factors to consider before you invest. It’s important to first decide how you would use your outdoor space to determine what kind of furniture you require. In today’s blog post, we’ll guide you on the right materials, styles and fabric when buying patio furniture.
What Furniture Material You Should Choose
When choosing the material for your patio furniture, you must note certain factors such as the style you want to create for your patio, your lifestyle, and the ease of maintenance and care. Typically, the material choice for outdoor furniture ranges from wood, wicker, plastic, aluminium, steel and wrought iron. Here we’ve listed the features of each material to help you select the best material for your space.
- Wicker: This is a popular choice for sunrooms, patios, decks and porches. Wicker furniture is made from weaving thin strips of both synthetic materials such as resin and natural materials such as cane and bamboo around a metal or wooden base. Being light-weight, it can be moved around easily. However, furniture made from natural materials isn’t an ideal choice to use outdoors during heavy storms or winters as they’re susceptible to moisture.
- Plastic: A light-weight, durable and inexpensive material, it’s also very easy to clean and maintain. It doesn’t require sealing or painting.
- Wrought Iron: This rust-resistant material is the strongest metal furniture that needs occasional touch-ups. However, it’s a heavy material and makes a good choice if you don’t need to move around your furniture much. Look for UV-resistant, powder coated finishes.
- Aluminum: It’s a light-weight, durable, and rust-resistant metal that can withstand harsh weather and moisture. It’s available in a wide variety of colours, finishes and often comes with built-in slings or fabric cushions.
- Steel: It’s a very durable material for outdoor furniture. Steel isn’t as heavy as wrought iron but is heavier and stronger than aluminium.
- Wood: A natural alternative to wicker, plastic and metal, it can’t withstand harsh weather conditions. It requires more care and maintenance than the other materials to protect from cracking, rotting, splitting or bugs.
What Furniture Style is Best Suited for You
There are several outdoor furniture styles to choose from. Below we’ve listed some of the popular style options.
- Conversational Seating: If you have a large family or you’re looking to create an outdoor hanging out area for a group of friends, then conversational seating is an ideal choice. Be it sling or deep seating furniture, these sets provide the comfort of the living room. You can pair them up with coffee tables and backless ottomans and experiment with the placements depending on the occasion and functionality.
- Dining Sets: Perfect for setting up a dining area on the patio, go for them if you have enough space outdoors and plan to host gatherings often. If you don’t have a large area, get a dining table and add built-in benches around to save space.
- Bistro Sets: These sets are ideal for small spaces. You can dress them up with cushions. For a classic look, go for wrought-iron bistro sets.
- Chairs: If you want to create a space to chat with family or a group of friends, then choosing different styles of chairs is a good idea. Mix and match benches, loveseats, ottomans, gliders, lounges and swings. You can also hang hammocks in one corner of your patio.
Choosing the Right Fabric
To withstand different outdoor elements, make sure that the cushions and pillows are made of polyurethane foam. Purchase covers that are made from solution-dyed acrylic fabric. These fabrics are mildew, moisture and UV resistant, and are available in a wide variety of colours, styles and patterns.
Follow this guide when choosing patio furniture for your outdoor space. At Sunguard, we specialize in offering solutions to help you enhance your outdoor space. Visit our showroom at Mississauga or browse through our products at our website.